The temperatures are starting to drop, the humidity is finally decreasing and the long days of summer are quickly coming to a close. With Fall just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about how you will keep your yard looking its best, while preparing for next season. It can be easy to neglect your outdoors as the harsher weather approaches, but it is just as critical to keep up with maintenance throughout the Fall season.
- Don’t Stop Watering
– Now that cooler weather is approaching, watering in the Fall helps your lawn recover from the stress of high summer temperatures, and gain strength for the cold winter ahead. This is especially important if you have a cool-season grass, meaning that this is a strong period of growth for your lawn. Therefore it is critical that your grass is getting the nutrients it needs to grow. You should continue watering your lawn up until the ground freezes in late Fall.
- Fertilize in the Fall
– For an exceptional looking lawn, a good rule of thumb would be to fertilize 4 times a year. However, if you’re going to choose only once, Fall is an optimal time. Aim to apply the fertilizer approximately 3 weeks before the last mowing of the season. Fertilizing in the morning will allow the morning dew to deliver moisture and help turf absorb the fertilizer. This gives your lawn energy and nutrients for the grassroots as they multiply in cooler weather before the grass goes dormant. The roots also store food for the winter, which will give the grass an initial growth spurt when it starts to show in the spring.
- Cut Grass Short
– When it is time for the final cut of the season, you’ll want to set your mower to cut 1-½ to 2 inches. This will help lessen the chance of snow mold forming in the winter. It’ll also ensure that tall grass blades won’t lie down and smother the new grass growth next spring. Be sure to also rake up any dead leaves before the first snowfall, as they’ll just become soaked and weigh heavy on sprouting grass below.
- Winterize Sprinkler System
– To avoid damage, cracking, and freezing over the winter, contact a professional to winterize your sprinkler! The professionals at Berardi Irrigation are here to help. Contact us today to schedule your service.